Re: [Quilt-dev] status query for patch description feature

From: martin . quinson
Subject: Re: [Quilt-dev] status query for patch description feature
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2004 04:50:46 +0200

Selon Yasushi SHOJI <address@hidden>:

> Hi list,
>
> I just started to use quilt on a few source code I'm working on.
> Quilt seems to be very useful tool to maintain patches.
>
> One feature I miss from akpm's patch scripts or Holger Schurig's
> patcher is patch description files.
>
> I looked around ml but couldn't find any discussion about it.  Is the
> feature considered useful in quilt community?  any agreements on how
> to implement?

The patch program allows you to put any kind of cruft in the file before the
actual patch. I use this area to put my comments, and I have the very strong
feeling that other peoples do so also.

Having everything in the same file allows neat stuff. Check
 http://graal.ens-lyon.fr/~mquinson/grid.html#nws
At the end of the box about the source package, you'll find all patches applied
on top of the upstream package. Each of them contain a specific line begining
with '%title', and that's the description which ends on the web page. Those
patches are extracted automatically at the web page compilation time. It would
be kind of harder if the description would be in a separate file.

But this is not perfect either.Check the discussion about diffstat for hints
about how to improve this...

Thanks for your time, Mt.