Re: [Quilt-dev] status query for patch description feature

From: Yasushi SHOJI
Subject: Re: [Quilt-dev] status query for patch description feature
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2004 13:14:56 +0900

Hi Joe,

At Sun, 27 Jun 2004 21:51:30 -0700,
Joe Green wrote:

> address@hidden wrote:
> > Selon Yasushi SHOJI <address@hidden>:
> >>One feature I miss from akpm's patch scripts or Holger Schurig's
> >>patcher is patch description files.
> >
> > The patch program allows you to put any kind of cruft in the file before the
> > actual patch. I use this area to put my comments, and I have the very strong
> > feeling that other peoples do so also.
>
> I have a patch that implements a "quilt header" command to display and
> edit this information easily.  I can send a copy if there's interest,
> but I want to get merged up to the current quilt CVS first.

could you briefly explain how you implemented "quilt header", if
possible? or send me the patch?

for the magic keyword (ie. %diffstat), have we reached the consensus
how we implement this feature?  I have read the diffstat thread, and
felt that we need to edit the patch file manually or with "quilt
header" _after_ we generate the patch.

At least for me, once I fix the format, I'd be using same header
format again and again for a project.  I don't want to "quilt header"
every single time we "quilt ref" for new patch.

I'm _not_ against "quilt header" (I can't be because I haven't seen it
yet.)  I just thought that if we have, say, "header" file in the
patches dir, "quilt ref" can use it as a default header for the first
time patch generation.  "qulit header" feature is, if my guess is
right, orthogonal to "header" format file feature.

any comments?

# btw, without this feature, quilt has been a great help for me! thank
# you for your work!

best regards,
--
           yashi