Re: [Quilt-dev] Re: [patch 0/4] Kprobes support for IA64

From: Andreas Gruenbacher
Subject: Re: [Quilt-dev] Re: [patch 0/4] Kprobes support for IA64
Date: Tue, 24 May 2005 01:57:01 +0200

On Tuesday 24 May 2005 01:38, Andrew Morton wrote:
> > Yes, just define what to use as the subject. There's an example
> > quilt_mail_patch_filter function in /etc/quilt.quiltrc that works for our
> > kernel patches; simply uncomment it.
>
> Sorry, I don't understand.
>
> Suppose there are four patches in the series and the subjects should be:
>
> Kprobes/IA64: architecture specific JProbes support
> Kprobes/IA64: arch specific handling
> Kprobes/IA64: kdebug die notification mechanism
> Kprobes/IA64: support kprobe on branch/call instructions
>
> How does one arrange for those Subject:s to be conveyed correctly, as
>
> [patch 1/4] Kprobes/IA64: architecture specific JProbes support
> [patch 2/4] Kprobes/IA64: arch specific handling
> [patch 3/4] Kprobes/IA64: kdebug die notification mechanism
> [patch 4/4] Kprobes/IA64: support kprobe on branch/call instructions
>
> ?

Ah, quilt does not make many assumptions about patch files, so you need to
tell it what your patch format is. We're using RFC 2822 (Internet Message
Format) style headers for our kernel patches at SUSE. To enable support for
that, it's two steps:

(1) Put a Subject header in each patch like so, and optionally other headers:

        Subject: Kprobes/IA64: architecture specific JProbes support

        [patch follows]

(2) Activate the example quilt_mail_patch_filter function
in /etc/quilt.quiltc, and make sure to source /etc/quilt.quiltc in case you
have a ~/.quiltrc.

The example function for each patch will pull the Subject header out of the
patch, and add people in To, Cc, Acked-by, and Signed-off-by to the list of
recipients.

Alternatively, you can also think out another way where to pull the subjects
from, and write your own quilt_mail_patch_filter. There's some more
documentation in quilt's README.MAIL.

-- Andreas.