Re: [Quilt-dev] Call for 0.42

From: Jean Delvare
Subject: Re: [Quilt-dev] Call for 0.42
Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2005 12:45:17 +0200 (CEST)

Hi Andreas,

[Andreas Gruenbacher]
> I'm no expert in this, but maybe you like the following snippet slightly
> better.
>
> (...)
> use POSIX qw(setlocale LC_MESSAGES);

Unfortunately, the POSIX module in perl 5.6.x did not export LC_MESSAGES.
It only knew about the following LC constants:

  LC_ALL
  LC_COLLATE
  LC_CTYPE
  LC_MONETARY
  LC_NUMERIC
  LC_TIME

Thus this would add a dependency on perl 5.8, which is IMHO not
significantly better than adding a dependency on Locale::gettext;

One possible workaround would be to define a fake LC_MESSAGES constant
just like you defined fake functions:

>     } else {
>         eval '
>             sub bindtextdomain($$) { }
>             sub textdomain($) { }
>             sub gettext($) { shift }

              use constant LC_MESSAGES => 0;

>         '
>     }
> }

This seems to work for me. Not sure if it is less unelegant than my
original proposal, but I guess I'll have to commit that unless someone
proposes something better or objects to the hack altogether.

Thanks,