Re: [Quilt-dev] Term::ReadKey in test/run

From: Andreas Gruenbacher
Subject: Re: [Quilt-dev] Term::ReadKey in test/run
Date: Tue, 6 Sep 2005 13:04:05 +0200

On Tuesday 06 September 2005 11:54, John Vandenberg wrote:
> On 9/6/05, Jean Delvare <address@hidden> wrote:
> > Hi John,
> >
> > [John Vandenberg]
> >
> > > Could the following patch be applied to allow test/run to work without
> > > Term::ReadKey?  It isnt installed by default on several unix/linux
> > > favours I have run into, and I haven't found a way to compile it into
> > > MSYS perl.
> >
> > I didn't realize that Term::ReadKey was solely used to get the number of
> > columns the terminal has. Sounds a bit overkill to me, especially since
> > this module isn't part of the standard distribution.

Maybe there is another Perl module that's generally available. $ENV{COLUMNS}
isn't set on many systems, at least as fas as I can see. Bash here defines it
as a variable, but doesn't export it; tcsh doesn't define it at all.

Instead of the BEGIN hack, if we don't find a better solution, let's hardcode
this to 80, or use a command-line option.

> Sounds like you are running into a lot of problems I've already
> addressed; albeit without your elegance :)
>
> You may want to pore through this series of patches.
>
> http://zeroj.hda0.net/quilt-patches/series-all
>
> I tried to use "quilt mail" to submit this smaller series on Saturday
> night, but it appears to have never made it.  I tested sending it to
> another email address, which worked.  I was waiting for bounces before
> investigating further.
>
> http://zeroj.hda0.net/quilt-patches/series
>
> Specifically for RH 6, these may be causing you grief ...
>
> config-nls.diff

The patch uses ``head -1'', which is not POSIX compiant. Instead, please use
``head -n 1''.

> config-misc.diff

Adds two tests like ``if test -x "@foo@"; then "@foo@"; else ...; fi''. How
about setting @foo@ to a suitable replacement value instead of testing here?
In the case of TAC, why not do this in configure.ac:

   TAC="perl -e 'print reverse <>'"
   AC_SUBST(TAC)

For column:

   COLUMN="cat"
   AC_SUBST(COLUMN)

This requires to not put @foo@ in quotes...

Is the getopt replacement your own, or did you find it somewhere else? In the
latter case, maybe we should add a reference for picking up future fixes,
etc.

> test-example1.diff

Patch has a change to test/run:

+      $line =~ s/(sed .*)\\t/\1\t/g;  # convert \t to tab

Can we please fix this in the test cases instead, by either using $'\t' or
literal tab characters?

test/example1.test:

-       $ sed -e "4aFetch me that flower; the herb I shew'd thee once:"
Oberon.txt >
Oberon.new
+       $ awk '{print $0;if(FNR==4)print "'"Fetch me that flower; the herb I
shew'd
thee once:"'"}' Oberon.txt > Oberon.new

Do these work?
   sed -e '1,3d'
   sed -ne '1,3p'

If so; I'd prefer this:

   sed -ne '1,3p' Oberon.txt > Oberon.new
   echo "Fetch me that flower; the herb I shew'd thee once:" >> Oberon.new
   sed -e '1,3d' Oberon.txt >> Oberon.new

> Also, see the first item in my TODO:
>
> - move.test in pop-overwrite-deleted.diff exhibits erratic behaviour in pop
>   Affects: MSYS(GnuWin32), SuSE 7.2
>
>   Often the overwrite operation will proceed without error (Serious
> dataloss)
>
>   Fedora Core 3 2.6.10-1.766 always halts pop attempting to overwrite.

Do you refer to pop-verbose-fail.diff here? I guess yes. I like the approach,
and I don't readily see what's broken on some systems. A ``quilt
--trace ...'' trace would probably show what's wrong.

Why do you not also report when a file that is expected to exist does not
exist? Irrespective of why pop failed, the two ways to proceed are either
refresh, or pop with -f, so I don't see why you are changing that in the
patch. I don't think we should speculate why a file is there or missing when
it shouldn't be, so I disagree with that part.

Thanks,
Andreas.