Re: [Quilt-dev] quilt mail bugs (was [patch 1/8])

From: Andreas Gruenbacher
Subject: Re: [Quilt-dev] quilt mail bugs (was [patch 1/8])
Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2005 02:03:02 +0200

On Wednesday 14 September 2005 14:15, Gary V. Vaughan wrote:
> Hallo Andreas,
>
> Andreas Gruenbacher wrote:
> > On Wednesday 14 September 2005 13:31, Gary V. Vaughan wrote:
> >>I was being paranoid about whether quilt mail would be able to pass
> >>'"Gary V. Vaughan" <address@hidden>' through to sendmail
> >>without molesting the quotes.
> >
> > It really should.
>
> Okay, thanks.
>
> >>(Incidentally, there are several bugs
> >>in mail.in... I might post patches if I try to use it again)
> >
> > I'd appreciate that. Otherwise, pointing out what broke would be a
> > start...
>
> I haven't really looked at the code too much (walking the path of least
> resistance, sorry) but so far:
>
> - 'quilt mail --mbox file' ignores FILE and outputs on stdout.

Strange, I know I've had this working before. Fixed.

> - `quilt mail --subject ...' is not copied into the template Subject:
>     header and is lost (note the missing subject in my series posts --
>     I thought --subject would override Subject: so didn't fill it in
>     again after specifying it already)

Indeed, yes. Fixed as well.

> -  `hostname -f' doesn't work except on Linux  (see my patch 6/8)
> -  no way to send from a NAT smarthost (see my patch 6/8)

I'll give those some more thought. Compared to what pain it was to implement
the mail command, this is really minor ;)

I don't really like using any MTA options if avoidable; they might not be
supported.

> Actually, I'm not sure that the ENVELOPE_SENDER is a good thing to
> have.  Much nicer for quilt mail to extract it from my --from argument
> to avoid spoofing.

What does your MUA do in its default configuration? Does your ``hostname''
have a -d option?

> Additionally, it would be nice if there was of not posting the entire
> series... say I update one of my patches based on feedback and want to
> repost it without all the others using:
>
>    $ quilt mail --send --from '"Gary V. Vaughan <address@hidden>"' \
>         -p patches/fix-foo.diff

I agree this would be nice. Simply generating a new "[patch n/#] foo" message
isn't right though: You really want a "Re: ..." including References and
In-reply-to headers ... and the mail command doesn't know those. Any ideas?

> Maybe even to default the subject line to `fix-foo.diff' if --subject
> is omitted.

Good idea, yes. I'm using the tricks documented in README.MAIL for setting the
subjects from the patch header. Andrew Morton did complain that the default
behavior was weak. I should really hack up something better.

> There are a couple of other features I'd like to have from my mailnotify
> script (used in libtool, m4, tla-utils and others, attached): gpg
> signing and mime attached patches as an alternative to verbatim mail
> body inserted patches.

Can gpg sign every mail in an mbox? Signing might be relatively easy to add,
except you don't want to type your passphrase once for each patch.

Do you mean multiple mime-attached patches in a single message? Otherwise,
what would be the benefit of mime-attaching the patch to an empty message
body vs. making the patch the message body?

How does your MUA render the mails ``quilt mail'' produces? It should show
them inline (but doesn't have to), and it should offer to safe them to a
file.

-- Andreas.