Re: [Quilt-dev] fix patch version check in configure.ac

From: Jean Delvare
Subject: Re: [Quilt-dev] fix patch version check in configure.ac
Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2006 10:36:53 +0100 (CET)

Hi Yashi,

On 2006-01-26, Yasushi SHOJI wrote:
> > > one question, just noticed when I glanced delete.in, it has following
> > > strings:
> > >
> > > #: quilt/delete.in:107
> > > msgid "Removing patch %s failed\\n"
> > >
> > > #: quilt/delete.in:117
> > > msgid "Failed to remove patch %s\\n"

BTW, a deeper look at that file reveals that one "remove" refers to the
action of poping a patch and the other refers to the action of removing
the patch from the series file. This is confusing. Shouldn't we be
using "pop" when referring to a pop action (not just here, but
everywhere else too)? Given that the user has to type "quilt pop"
already, it's not like he/she isn't familiar with this terminology.

> some other boring stuff is either have a word, typically filename,
> double-quoted or not. ie.
>
>    #: quilt/delete.in:117
>    msgid "Failed to remove patch %s\\n"
>
>    #: quilt/delete.in:135
>    msgid "Failed to remove patch file \\\"%s\\\"\\n"

Patches merging these cases are welcome too. I'd go without quotes.

> regarding to quotes, we have variety of quoting style:
>
> - 'foo'
> - `foo'
> - "foo"
> - ``foo''
>
> I usually don't care but when I'm looking at po file too much these
> boring stuff start to annoy my eyes. ;-P

Add to this the cases where we don't quote at all (like the case you
mentioned above) and we have 5 different styles. I personally dislike
when backticks are used (`) as the result is visually unpleasant with
most fonts I work with. I think I tend to prefer double quotes (") when
we really need to quote, and no quotes at all in most cases, but again
what really matters is that we stick to one style so as ease the
translation effort and improve the user friendliness.

Thanks,