Re: [Quilt-dev] Tru64 and OSX patches

From: John Vandenberg
Subject: Re: [Quilt-dev] Tru64 and OSX patches
Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2006 23:46:48 +1100

On 30/01/06, Andreas Gruenbacher <address@hidden> wrote:
> On Monday 30 January 2006 09:33, John Vandenberg wrote:
> > Hi everyone,
> >
> > Here are a few more patches that I needed to build and test quilt on
> > Tru64, OS X, and of lesser importance, MinGW.
> >
> > http://zeroj.hda0.net/quilt-20060130/series.php
>
> http://zeroj.hda0.net/quilt-20060130/tru64-backup-files.diff
>   Fixed slightly differently. (Btw, more recent Try64 isn't as crappy
>   anymore according to Google.)

Was there a problem with mine?

> http://zeroj.hda0.net/quilt-20060130/getopt-spaces.diff
>   Yuck! See below.

It's perl.

> http://zeroj.hda0.net/quilt-20060130/test-mail-stdin.diff
>   Added.
>
> http://zeroj.hda0.net/quilt-20060130/hostname_f.diff
>   This was meant to be worked around by using the --sender option. I'm
>   updating the test case instead.

$(hostname) does the right thing on a lot of other boxes; I would
prefer to not need to provide --sender.  Is there a .quiltrc setting
for this ?

> http://zeroj.hda0.net/quilt-20060130/compat_leftover.diff
>   Added.
>
> http://zeroj.hda0.net/quilt-20060130/mingw-backup-files.diff
>   Is the attached version okay as well?

I see this is committed already.  I'll test it tomorrow.

> http://zeroj.hda0.net/quilt-20060130/test-ignore-eol-issues.diff
>   Workaround not added.

As expected. :)

> > The getopt patch is the most important of these, as it affects all
> > platforms that don't have a native getopt.  I haven't been able to
> > complete the new mail test case on either platform due to uniq -D,
> > date --rfc-822, and other miscellaneous issues.
>
> Something is still seriously wrong in compat/getopt.in:

yea; to begin with its written in perl.  It's only intended as a stop
gap measure, so it catered for the common cases in order that quilt is
usable.  iirc util-linux is being updated to be portable, so it may
soon be reasonable to expect that the linux additions are available on
other platforms.

Another alternative is to change over to using the bash builtin
getopts.  Is that feasible; after this release?

> $ compat/getopt -o h -- \"
>  -- "
> $ compat/getopt -o h -- \'
>  -- '
> $ compat/getopt -o h -- \\
>  -- \
> $ compat/getopt -o h -- "a b  c"
>  -- a b  c
>
> The results should be:
>  -- '"'
>  -- ''\'''
>  -- '\'
>  -- 'a b  c'

IMO, it would be easier to include getopt from util-linux and build it
when necessary; I have already done this for mingw, which has to be
one of the more difficult targets.

If that doesn't suit, I'll update it to more closely resemble the
util-linux getopt.

--
John