[Quilt-dev] Why does quilt create files with 000 perms?

From: Raphael Hertzog
Subject: [Quilt-dev] Why does quilt create files with 000 perms?
Date: Sun, 22 Nov 2009 15:47:58 +0100

Hello,

I would like to know the rationale behind the fact that quilt creates
empty files with 000 perms when patches create new files. It's annoying
because you can't "cp -a" the whole directory containing .pc.

Apparently that change dates back to 2003:

We have several requests to change that in the Debian bug tracking system
and I would like to see this resolved too.

Can you consider changing this?

BTW, we have lots of patches in the Debian package, but the current
maintainers (me included) are quite busy and most of them have not yet
been properly forwarded. It would be nice if you could take a look at them
and merge those that are worth it at least.

Some of them have been controversial (in particular the rewrite of
backup-files in shell) and some represent new features... so some
discussion might be needed.

http://git.debian.org/?p=collab-maint/quilt.git;a=tree;f=debian/patches;hb=master

Not all of them are commented so you might have to dig in the changelog to
find the rationale:
http://git.debian.org/?p=collab-maint/quilt.git;a=blob_plain;f=debian/changelog;hb=master

Cheers,
--