Re: [Quilt-dev] [RFC] Conditional diff/refresh opts depending on the sou

From: Jean Delvare
Subject: Re: [Quilt-dev] [RFC] Conditional diff/refresh opts depending on the source - patch as attachement
Date: Fri, 22 Jan 2010 17:34:40 +0100

Le vendredi 22 janvier 2010 15:13, Andreas Krebbel a écrit :
> Hi Jean,
>
> Jean Delvare wrote:
> > You know, ~/.quiltrc is a bash script. If you like conditionals,
> > feel tree to just code them using the bash syntax in your ~/.quiltrc
> > file. This will be even more flexible that your proposal, and doesn't
> > require any change to quilt.
> >
> Sure, I'm aware of that.  I just thought that my usage pattern is quite
> common.

Your usage pattern certainly is. Your proposed solution, not quite.

> So that it would make sense to provide a solution for everybody without
> having to
> implement the check in their quiltrc.  Of course the quiltrc check
> wouldn't be much
> code but the quilt patch isn't that big either ;) and would be
> immediately available
> to everybody with an easy to understand interface.

No, your proposal isn't "easy to understand". Without detailed
documentation, I am unable to tell the exact syntax I am supposed
to use for your new feature. And contrary to bash, your syntax has
limitations. It does what you need today, but might become too
limited for yourself tomorrow, or for others today.

> After all it is just a proposal. I was just trying to make sure that you
> understand
> what I am trying to solve for me and the advantages of that approach. Of
> course I
> fully accept it if you think that problem should get solved
> differently.  If there are
> no other supporters of that idea then this simply stays a local change
> to my quilt
> installation.

My point was that others have proposed more appealing solutions to
the same problem already.

Suse L3