Re: [Quilt-dev] Quilt 0.60 is coming

From: Raphael Hertzog
Subject: Re: [Quilt-dev] Quilt 0.60 is coming
Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2012 00:32:28 +0100

On Thu, 23 Feb 2012, Jean Delvare wrote:
> It's definitely too late for new features in 0.61. What's more, new
> features aren't something I'll pick myself on debian.org. If you think
> these new features are of general interest, then you should actively
> submit them upstream. Oh well, same would hold for fixes too, ideally.

Yeah, I know. But time is scarce and quilt is not really a priority for
me. Anyway I did took an hour to prepare a branch with 4 of the trivial
patches.

> WRT to the fixes in the first list, please understand that even fixes
> which look simple may need some discussion and adjustments when it comes
> to merging them upstream. Locally, you only care about getting things to
> work now in your context. Upstream, you care about things working
> everywhere and in a maintainable way.

I fully understand that.

> For example, ensure-manpage-has-correct-patches-dir works for you, but
> it relies on quilt internals which aren't documented and could change,
> so I am reluctant to take it as is.

quilt itself should be able to rely on quilt's internals, no?

> unset_posix_strict_conformance_variables was already submitted a long
> time ago, this lead to a discussion, the last post being:
> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/quilt-dev/2010-01/msg00024.html
> So it has already been reviewed, I asked for changes which Martin agreed
> with, but never re-posted. If this is a workload issue with Martin then
> maybe you can do it. Or if you can't, tell me and I'll do it. It should
> be quite straightforward from what I recall.

I updated the patch accordingly, thanks for the pointer.

Cheers,
--
Raphaël Hertzog ◈ Debian Developer