Re: [Quilt-dev] [patch 0/8] test/run: Cleanups and optimizations

From: Martin Quinson
Subject: Re: [Quilt-dev] [patch 0/8] test/run: Cleanups and optimizations
Date: Wed, 5 Feb 2014 10:10:59 +0100

On Tue, Feb 04, 2014 at 11:32:56AM +0100, Andreas Grünbacher wrote:
> 2014-02-04 Martin Quinson <address@hidden>:
> > I would see the use of a C program to test quilt as a regression,
> > personnally. We need quilt to be interpreted and not compiled in
> > Debian, or it becomes really difficult for us to use it as we
> > currently do.
>
> You run the test suite when building the package, not when installing it,
> right?

Yes, that's correct. But I'm still reluctant to ensure that a part of
the infrastructure is possibly not testable on all platforms due to
some obscure bug in the toolchain that would get unoticed until we
need the testing program.

Moreover, there is a new debian toy allowing to write tests that are
run on the installed package (not in the source tree) to increase the
software quality. I'm not using it yet, but I'd prefer not to do
anything that would prevent this to happen without a reason.

And you didn't tell us what the benefit of this tool would be for
quilt, or did I miss something maybe?

Thanks,
Mt.

--
Reject: Figure 3 is unclear.    -- Bastard Reviewer From Hell