Re: [RP] fatpoison?

From: Martin Samuelsson
Subject: Re: [RP] fatpoison?
Date: Sun, 24 Jun 2001 12:42:29 +0200

On Sat, Jun 23, 2001 at 10:02:48AM -0700, Ryan Yeske wrote:
> Do you think that support like this would best go into ratpoison?  Or
> should it be done as a separate application?

Of course if you look at it technically the wm is clearly the wrong place.

The way I figure that this should work is that there is an other process that
handles the actual attaching, detaching and such. It will have to be
implemented as a X server of it's own. One that displays to another and acts a
proxy. There is an immature implementation of this around, xmove.

What I actually meant was that we should fix xmove so that it's easy to control
it from rp. Or reimplement xmove in lisp of course... Create a libmove or fix
the executable so that it has good commands for everything that needs to be
done.

The support should be in rp for two reasons.

One, to be like screen. It should be easy to detach an entire session and
reattach it later. This part could be done in .ratpoisonrc without changing rp.

Two, true multihead support isn't possible without deep integration between rp
and the proxy. Only changing .ratpoisonrc isn't enough in this case.

I figured this list was the best place to discuss such a thing since xmove
development seem to be completely dead.

Did anyone understand what the license meant. Or more specifically, could xmove
code be used together with gpl'ed?