Re: [RP] fatpoison?

From: Ryan Yeske
Subject: Re: [RP] fatpoison?
Date: 23 Jun 2001 10:02:48 -0700

Martin Samuelsson <address@hidden> writes:

> I know I don't create very much useful code to this project. And I
> have understood that you brave souls that do arn't all together
> happy to writing non-lisp code. But I'll write a few lines about my
> rp dreams anyway.
>
> IMO it would be great if rp started to support the greatest feature
> of all from screen. Detaching and reattaching sessions. That is of
> course not anything that could be done without giving up on being
> minimalistic... So the thing to do is to create an additional fatrat
> or fatpoison. A great bunch of extra code that adds this big but
> wonderful feature. It's needed to add good support for mulihead as
> well...
>
> All we need to do is to implement a X-protocol proxy. Or reuse parts
> of xmove if that is possible? What does it's license say? I've read
> it, but I havn't really understood it. I'm attaching it so that
> someone can explain what it means...
>
> What do you think? Is the idea all wrong?

Do you think that support like this would best go into ratpoison?  Or
should it be done as a separate application?  Ratpoison is, after all,
just another X application, unlike screen, which is a terminal
emulator.  X programs don't run *in* ratpoison, their windows are
simply managed by it.

My uninformed opinion on the matter is that detach/reattach support
doesn't have to be written into the WM.  I could be wrong though, I
have never investigated what is involved.

Ryan