Re: [RP] virtual screens

From: Doug Kearns
Subject: Re: [RP] virtual screens
Date: Fri Jun 14 06:40:06 2002

On Sat, Jun 08, 2002 at 05:00:54AM -0700, Shawn Betts wrote:
> Doug Kearns <address@hidden> writes:

<snip>

> This sounds like ION to me.

Isn't that a dirty word?

<snip>

> I'm really skeptical of virtual screens.

Despite making an initial feature request when I first started using RP,
having come from Window Maker, I haven't really missed them to any great
extent...

> To want to use virtual screens means you have lots of windows and apps
> which I don't think is a good way to work.

It depends whether the windows are in use or not. If you have the
resources, virtual screens can provide an abstraction similar to
sessions.

> I really, really don't understand how you guys get anything done.

And yet we do, just like magic, really.

> From what I gather from messages and playing with friends' setups,
> you've got a bunch of punty X apps doing punty things and none of them
> communicate with each other requiring you to work within the confines
> of their lazy half-baked UI.

Yes most X apps are poxy but sometimes you don't have a choice. I've
still got four xpdf and two dillo windows up because I'm going to go
back to that 'session' in half an hour. I really don't feel like
having to close them all down, then open them all up and navigate to the
correct page in each again, assuming I can even remember what that is.
This is probably not the best example but it's current, and the windows
are almost irritating me enough to have to kill them :-)

Does emacs have a PDF viewer?

> USE EMACS.

NO. YOU CAN'T MAKE ME.

> You don't need virtual screens. You don't need frames. You don't need
> anything else. Just Emacs.

I guess you don't really need a window manager - problem solved.

Regards,
Doug