Re: [RP] Possible bug in handling of rc files.

From: Jonathan Walther
Subject: Re: [RP] Possible bug in handling of rc files.
Date: Sat Apr 5 10:20:02 2003

On Tue, Mar 18, 2003 at 03:48:22PM -0800, Shawn Betts wrote:
Yeah pretty much. Processes and windows just aren't connected in
X. You can also use desktop-save and desktop-read in emacs to save and
restore your open files, buffer points, etc. That works pretty
well. But if you're not using emacs for everything then you're going
to run into problems just as anyone who doesn't use good tools would.

That may be changing.  We have a couple options. Keith Packard is
forking Xfree86 soonish, and CVS commit access will be opened up to way
more people.  We will finally be able to get xterm fixed, and stuff like
that.  Why don't we talk to the KDE and Gnome folks about this issue?  I
am sure it is one they also have run up against.  Times have changed; I
think we have a shot at getting a modification made to ICCCM in our
favor.  The train of X innovation is about to get started again.

The second option was going to be "write a little wrapper program to
store the information", but I thought about it for a minute, and that
won't work.  So what do you guys say we all apply for CVS commit access
on the Keith Packard tree?  And start talks with the freedesktop.org
folks so that we have some community support for this kind of
innovation?

The innovation I am talking about is setting a WM property in a window
and associating it with a PID.  I am SURE I have seen Gnome and KDE
doing this recently.  They may be doing it "out of band", using their
special libraries.  If we can modify ICCCM, we will get it for free,
for all X apps, without any special bloaty CORBA or C++ libraries.

Jonathan

--
                    Geek House Productions, Ltd.

Phone:   604-435-1205
Email:   address@hidden
Webpage: http://reactor-core.org
Address: 2459 E 41st Ave, Vancouver, BC  V5R2W2