Re: [RP] patches

From: Joshua Neuheisel
Subject: Re: [RP] patches
Date: Fri May 23 06:05:08 2003

Let me throw out a similar suggestion:

What if we had a ratpoison-experimental CVS branch?  This branch would run
parallel to the main branch but would include patches that could be 'turned
on-or-off' with configure options.  If no patches are chosen, it would be
identical to the main build.  That way if someone wanted my Xft patch and
Rupert's dumphistory patch, they would configure the experimental branch
with "./configure --with-xft --enable-dumphistory" or the like.

The down side (which I can attest to by experience) is that the maintainer
of the experimental branch will have to take the time to merge main line
code back to the branch.  Right now, each patch maintainer must do that
him/her-self.  This way, it would be done once at the branch level for
everybody.  Since I'm not one to suggest more work for others, I'd be
willing to volunteer to do the merging if people want to go this route.

Joshua

From: <address@hidden>
> It seems to me there are a bunch of patches flying around.
> Would it be considered wank-ish to keep them in a subdir in cvs?
>
> That way, stuff that's too bloated isn't in the code, but it's there to
play with.
> It'd also be an incentive to keep them relatively fresh.
>
> Then rp veterans wouldn't need to keep telling me: "I patched this 6
months ago, read th' archives"