Re: [RP] patches

From: Shawn Betts
Subject: Re: [RP] patches
Date: Tue May 27 12:23:07 2003

"Joshua Neuheisel" <address@hidden> writes:

> From: "Shawn Betts" <address@hidden>
> > What about a module system? Something where you could write a bar
> > module and a module that loads several commands. That way rp would be
> > more modular and less *ahem* nasty :). And you could swap in the mods
> > you want...including swapping out the core mods.
> >
> > This seems a bit better than having patches laying around.
>
> This is a very difficult design question and I don't think there's any way
> to decide it other than on style.  I've seen modular frameworks that work
> well and others that are too complicated to use successfully.  That said,
> being able to swap core functionality in or out is always cool.  Adding
> commands on the fly by popping in a new module would also be very slick
> (ratpoison 2.0?).  But I don't know how much using modules would reduce
> patching.  I have the feeling we would start patching the modules as well.
> Like I said, it's a very difficult question...

It's very true. I sent that email and then got this awful sinking
feeling thinking about writing a module system...

As a temporary solution, I'm going to add a section to the rp www and
put all the patches from the mailing list that haven't been added (and
that aren't ages old) up there. They may not all apply to CVS, but at
least we know what's been done and in most cases it doesn't take much
to get it to apply to CVS.

As a long term solution: You all run emacs, and write elisp hacks for
it and you'll find that ratpoison already does more than you ever need
it to do. Then we don't have any patches and we all get onto more
important things: hacking emacs.

Shawn