Re: [RP] substring window matching

From: Ryan Yeske
Subject: Re: [RP] substring window matching
Date: Wed Jun 11 22:47:10 2003

Shawn Betts <address@hidden> writes:

> Rupert Levene <address@hidden> writes:

> > > Isn't this better done in a script? Then you can for instance choose
> > > to use RegExps, substrings or whatever the language in use supports.
> >
> > Hmph, you're quite right. I take back the bit about the patch being
> > useful :-)
>
> Well, now, now, I still think it's useful. I *would* have implemented
> it this way as well. The reason I didn't was to maintain compatibility
> with screen. But I do agree that matching any part of the string is
> more useful, especially if you're wankin' on the web and you wanna get
> back to the window: Mozilla - Titties and Butts Up Close.
>
> Should I break this compatibility?

I would lean towards saying break it.  Certainly don't hang on the
current behaviour just to be compatible with screen if we think that
proper substring matching is superior.  However, if substring matching
leads to unexpected behaviour, then perhaps it should be configurable.

:defsubstringmatching 1

Ryan