Re: [RP] qiv and ratpoison

From: Florian Cramer
Subject: Re: [RP] qiv and ratpoison
Date: Sat, 27 Aug 2005 00:34:42 +0200

Am Dienstag, 23. August 2005 um 13:35:35 Uhr (+0800) schrieb Nazri Ramliy:

> Anybody here use qiv in ratpoison?

Yes. qiv _could_ be a useful, nice and fast little program if it weren't
so shoddily programmed (see below).

> How do you make the fullscreen view in qiv (qiv -f file.jpg, or
> pressing f while viewing) works in ratpoison?

Not at all because qiv is broken in this respect. It doesn't create the
fullscreen view in a child window, but paints on the root window. This
of course doesn't work in ratpoison.

Other annoyances of qiv: "recognition" of file types by file name
extension instead /etc/magic [which is why qiv doesn't show images without
filename suffixes at all], not working as a pipe filter like "display"
[i.e. "cat foo.jpg | display" works, "cat foo.jpg | qiv" doesn't],
no option to fit images to window size...

> I found out that using the f key to switch from/to fullscreen mode
> doesn't work well - i can't pan in the fullscreen image using the
> arrow keys.

Another braindead detail of qiv. Unfortunately, "display" isn't a great
replacement either because it's so slow (thanks to Imagemagick) and
rat-centric.

> Anybody know of a better (faster) image viewer in X that work well
> with ratpoison?

"gqview -t" opens gqview without the pesky GUI file navigation panel.
You could alias it to "qiv" to get used to it. ;-) While not starting up
as fast as qiv, it has excellent internal algorithms, great keyboard
control and even allows to run shell command operations on images and
map them to single keys.

-F

--
http://cramer.netzliteratur.net