Re: [RP] Re: Modeline

From: J.R. Mauro
Subject: Re: [RP] Re: Modeline
Date: Sat, 8 Nov 2008 19:41:53 -0500

On Sat, Nov 8, 2008 at 7:38 PM, Ross Patterson <address@hidden> wrote:
> "J.R. Mauro" <address@hidden> writes:

>>> Not sure if it's what you're asking, but I use stalonetray.  See the
>>
>> Hrm... ratpoison wrangles this up like any other window, and it's more
>> of just a sys tray. I'm looking for something that will not be
>> wrangled by RP and will display such things as clock, open windows,
>> and notifications. (like, "Hey, you! Someone said something in
>> irssi!")
>
>> Basically, the analog of screen's modeline. I would run give Stump a
>> whirl but it an it's deps are masked in Gentoo and I'm far more of a C
>> guy than a Lisper. I'd try doing this myself, but I know nothing of
>> Xlib and have little time. I may end up doing it myself, but I figured
>> I should check first.
>
> The baloons still come to the top so I get notified just fine.

I'm not talking about baloons. I'm talking about something like a
change in window title name and a place to see them all. Where I don't
have to hit ^T w to look.

> But as I
> said, not sure if it's what you're asking.  I also know I've read about
> people tying notifications into RP's equivalent of screen's modeline, so
> you should probably do some googling.

Again, not so much transient notifications as I can do that easily. I
want something small but always around. RP doesn't really have a
modeline, it just has a few transient things it can display.

You can do transient things trivially with a script that just does
"ratpoison -c "echo $@"

> Best luck,
> Ross
>
>>> "Ratpoison under Gnome" section on: