Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Newbie question: Restore target already exists

From: Ben Escoto
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Newbie question: Restore target already exists
Date: Mon, 03 Mar 2003 16:52:16 -0800

  SB> Well those restore options are the result of another
  SB> closely-related issue. Sometimes we end up having to restore
  SB> multiple sets of files down a given path. For example, maybe we
  SB> want to restore files from /u/jdoe/Maildir/new/,
  SB> /u/jdoe/Documents/ and /u/tsmith/Maildir/cur/, but in multiple
  SB> phases. Instead of restoring everything to/tmp/restore, we would
  SB> like to restore the original tree as much as possible. That way
  SB> you don't have to move jdoe's mail files before you restore
  SB> tsmith's mail files. It also means that you don't have to pick
  SB> through /tmp/restore to and separate jdoe's documents from his
  SB> mail files and tsmith's mail files.

  SB> In a nutshell, we don't want to have to do restore, move,
  SB> restore, move...

Well, it's not as bad as it sounds probably.  If you are worried about
the extra space that the temporary copies could take up, instead of
moving, maybe you could 'cp -al' them, which makes hard links.  Also,
the latest versions of rdiff-backup will only restore a file if it is
different from the file already there.  So the restore, cp, restore,
cp,... really shouldn't take much longer than restore, restore,...

--
Ben Escoto