re[2]: [rdiff-backup-users] ACLs/EAs (who is the audience?)

From: Greg Freemyer
Subject: re[2]: [rdiff-backup-users] ACLs/EAs (who is the audience?)
Date: Mon, 3 Mar 2003 18:00:23 -0500

 >>  For
 >>  a thoughtful summary of rsync's ACL/EA issues, see this message that
 >>  J.W. Schultz just posted to the rsync mailing list:

 >>  http://lists.samba.org/pipermail/rsync/2003-March/010031.html

Ben,

I'm not on the rsync mailing list, but the writer asks if any mainstream UNIXs
support EAs (as opposed to ACLs).

I know that the following do:
   VxFS  (from Veritas, heavily used in HP-UX and Solarix at a minimum)
   AdvFS (From Tru64 (i.e. Compaq/HP))
   UFS, NFS  (As patched for Tru64 from Compaq/HP)
   XFS and CXFS (From SGI's UNIX  and their Linux XFS port as well).

So in the top 5 Commercial UNIXes, the only one that may not support EAs is
AIX.  (I don't know AIX).

FYI: Tru64 man page:
http://btrcx1.cip.uni-bayreuth.de/cgi-bin/manpages/proplist/4

Unfortunately, I don't know of any kind of compatibility amongst the above, but
I'm no expert.

Also, IIRC ACLs are required for DOD Orange Book qualified secure
installations.

Feel free to forward this info to the rsync list.

Greg
--
Greg Freemyer