Re: [rdiff-backup-users] win32 error 126

From: Ben Escoto
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] win32 error 126
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2003 00:15:55 -0800

On Tue, 11 Nov 2003 14:49:08 +1100 (EST)
"David Kempe" <address@hidden> wrote:
> Whats fsync and how do I get rdiff-backup on windows to do it?

When a file handle is fsync()ed, the OS is supposed to make sure that
the file is physically written, and not just in some buffer.  I don't
know what the equivalent is under Windows.

rdiff-backup fsyncs the current mirror marker because that is how
backup sessions (except for the first) start, and how it can recognize
whether a previous session failed.  Without fsyncing, it's possible
some writes would occur out of order, and if there were some kind of
power failure, only later writes would get saved.  Then the backup
directory would look as if the last backup succeeded when really it
failed.

All that being said, you could probably just erase all calls to fsync
with no harm done...

--
Ben Escoto