Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Trying to backup and restore root-partition...

From: Oliver Kaltenecker
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Trying to backup and restore root-partition...
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2003 10:11:35 +0100

Hello Ben,

Ben Escoto schrieb:
Ok, the problem is with the --exclude-* options when restoring.  They
seem to be doing exactly what they say on the man page (i.e. acting as
if they excluded files are not in the destination directory, so that
they should be deleted from the target).

Maybe I am wrong, but I understand the term --exclude* in a way, that the matching files are not considered for syncing in either direction, neither backup nor restore.

This may make some sense when backing up, but is obviously the wrong
thing to do when restoring.  I will look into this later.  I think you
were just testing rdiff-backup out, but if you need your files, I
suggest restoring to an empty directory, and then mv'ing the top level
directories into /.

My intension is firstly to have an easy quick restore for accidentally deleted files. Secondly I'd like to use it for desaster recovery where I'd installed a base system with network connection to the backup server and then in a second step restored the whole machine with the last rdiff-backup.

Oliver Kaltenecker.