Re: [rdiff-backup-users] RDIFF-F!CKUP (Very frusttrated)

From: Maarten Bezemer
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] RDIFF-F!CKUP (Very frusttrated)
Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2005 09:47:53 +0200 (CEST)

Hi,

On Thu, 13 Oct 2005, Golden Butler wrote:

> rdiff-backup -v7 --print-statistics /home/golden/testy
> /iomega/bkps/loomis/gtest

/iomega sounds like you're using some iomega device, which usually use
pre-formatted media using FAT32.

However...

> Detected abilities for destination (read/write) file system:
> Characters needing quoting ''
> Ownership changing On
> Hard linking On
> fsync() directories On
> Directory inc permissions On
> Access control lists Off
> Extended attributes Off
> Mac OS X style resource forks Off
> Mac OS X Finder information Off

... hardlinking capability on FAT32 seems very unlikely.

So, what exactly is mounted below the iomega directory you're trying to
backup to?

Furthermore: you seem to be trying to backup with root privileges on the
target filesystem. No problem with that, but you might want to try a more
common approach: as a non-privileged user, ssh to address@hidden (using an
ssh key and possibly a ~/.ssh/config file to simplify the rdiff-backup
command line) and execute rdiff-backup as if it were running on a
remote host.

Also, you could try a newer rdiff-backup version. I remember there have
been some problems preventing it to run smoothly under certain
circumstances.

Regards,
 Maarten Bezemer