Re: [rdiff-backup-users] What filename characters does Mac OS X support?

From: Carsten Lorenz
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] What filename characters does Mac OS X support?
Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2005 10:30:55 +0200

Ben Escoto wrote:

>I'm asking because I need to figure out exactly when we don't need to
>quote characters.  As long as the source directory is non-empty (and
>has a filename that has a letter in it), then we can tell whether that
>directory is case-sensitive.  But it's harder to tell whether or not a
>source (and thus read-only) directory supports characters like a colon
>or a backslash.

There are different filesystems coming with OS X Tiger:
Mac OS Extended alias HFS+ (with and without journaling)
Mac OS Extended case sensitive alias HFSx (with and without journaling)
UNIX File System alias UFS

I think that it can also access all Windows filesystems but NTFS can
only been read.

The normally used HFS+ filesystem is not case-sensitive, but it is
case-preserving.
The new HFSx filesystem is case-sensitive.

Optimal would be to check source and destination and quote only if the
source is case-sensitive and the destination is only case-preserving.

Carsten