Re: [rdiff-backup-users] What filename characters does Mac OS X support?

From: Kevin Horton
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] What filename characters does Mac OS X support?
Date: Sun, 23 Oct 2005 07:26:54 -0400

On 23 Oct 2005, at 01:56, Alastair Rankine wrote:

On 22/10/2005, at 12:35 PM, Ben Escoto wrote:
Under the old system we didn't check the source, just the destination
(as in your scheme).  This worked ok, but led to unnecessary quoting.
For instance in a Mac OS X -> Mac OS X backup, rdiff-backup would
quote all uppercase characters.

I'm sorry I still don't get it. If the destination filesystem is case *preserving* (which in this case it is), surely this removes the need for unnecessary quoting?

The HFS+ file system is case preserving, but case insensitive. E.g. a file name "SomeFile" will overwrite a file named "somefile", so these two filenames cannot coexist.

Imagine that the source has a file system that is case sensitive, so it could have both those file names. If the user does a backup onto an HFS+ volume we have a problem unless we somehow deal with the case issue. Rdiff-backup deals with this by quoting the upper case characters. However, it does it in some situations where it is not necessary, i.e. if both the source and destination are HFS+.

Kevin Horton
Ottawa, Canada