Re: [rdiff-backup-users] What filename characters does Mac OS X support?

From: Alastair Rankine
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] What filename characters does Mac OS X support?
Date: Sat, 22 Oct 2005 08:29:26 +1000

On 21/10/2005, at 11:26 AM, Ben Escoto wrote:

I'm trying to make rdiff-backup a little friendlier on Mac OS X now.
Does anyone know offhand what characters are allowable in a Mac OS X
filename?

Technote 1150 describes the HFS Plus volume format in great detail:
http://developer.apple.com/technotes/tn/tn1150.html

In particular, there's a table with a list of illegal characters here: http://developer.apple.com/technotes/tn/tn1150table.html

I'm asking because I need to figure out exactly when we don't need to
quote characters.  As long as the source directory is non-empty (and
has a filename that has a letter in it), then we can tell whether that
directory is case-sensitive.  But it's harder to tell whether or not a
source (and thus read-only) directory supports characters like a colon
or a backslash.

Maybe it's because I'm new to rdiff-backup, but I can't understand why you need to determine the capabilities of the source file system?