Re: [rdiff-backup-users] rdiff to SMB share?

From: Cengiz Gunay
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] rdiff to SMB share?
Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2006 19:24:52 -0500 (EST)

On Thu, 12 Jan 2006, Ben Escoto wrote:

> Great, I think this should work now:
> +                       if locals().has_key('fd'): os.close(fd)

Thanks! It seems like we've gone past the sanity-checking part. But
unfortunately I had one more error before finishing the backup. I happened
to have a symlink in the source directory, and it gives this error when
processing the file:

---
Regular copying ('subpixelview',) to
/Lab/cengiz/emory/cgunay/home_backup/rdiff-backup.tmp.4
Exception '[Errno 1] Operation not permitted' raised of class
'exceptions.OSError':
  File "/usr/src/rdiff-backup/rdiff_backup/robust.py", line 32, in
check_common_error
    try: return function(*args)
  File "/usr/src/rdiff-backup/rdiff_backup/rpath.py", line 103, in copy
    elif rpin.issym(): rpout.symlink(rpin.readlink())
  File "/usr/src/rdiff-backup/rdiff_backup/rpath.py", line 882, in symlink
    self.conn.os.symlink(linktext, self.path)

SpecialFileError subpixelview [Errno 1] Operation not permitted
UpdateError subpixelview Updated mirror temp file
/Lab/cengiz/emory/cgunay/home_backup/rdiff-backup.tmp.4 does not match
source
Writing mirror marker
/Lab/cengiz/emory/cgunay/home_backup/rdiff-backup-data/current_mirror.2006-01-13;08414;05833;05844-05;05800.data
Cleaning up
---

rdiff-backup is checking the destination directory properties. Isn't it
also checking if the target supports symlinking? I got this list at the
beginning:
Detected abilities for destination (read/write) file system:
  Ownership changing                           Off
  Hard linking                                 Off
  fsync() directories                          Off
  Directory inc permissions                    Off
  High-bit permissions                         Off
  Extended filenames                           Off
  Access control lists                         Off
  Extended attributes                          Off
  Case sensitivity                             Off
  Mac OS X style resource forks                Off
  Mac OS X Finder information                  Off

It says hard linking, but nothing about symlinking..

Cengiz Gunay
--
address@hidden  address@hidden (MSN)    address@hidden
Lab: +1-404-727-3565    Home/Cell: +1-678-559-8694