Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Where did the restored folder go to?

From: Eric Jensen
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Where did the restored folder go to?
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2007 16:51:23 -0500

Martin,

I think the problem is in the time specification. Specifying 'now' says to restore the directory to the state it was in 'now' - and right now, it doesn't have the folder in it, and so it has been 'restored to' (i.e. left in) that state. More specifically, I believe that in practice 'now' really means 'as of the most recent backup' (since that's the best it can do); it must be the case that your hourly backup job ran at least once between the time you deleted the folder and the time you tried to do the restore, so the deletion of the folder was mirrored to the backup directory (but the folder still exists in the incrementals subdirectories of the backup directory, which is the beauty of rdiff-backup). If you have an hourly cron job running, that may have happened even between the time you checked that it was there and the time that you actually figured out the syntax to run the restore command!

What you probably want instead is to specify a time in the past when you know the folder existed, so something like

rdiff-backup -r 3D

if you know it was there three days ago (and hasn't been modified since), or '-r 4h' for four hours ago. You probably want to specify the smallest amount of time back to before you deleted it, so that any changes will be reflected in the restored directory.

'rdiff-backup -l backup-dir' will list the different backup sets you have, to help you choose the time frame here.

Good luck restoring - on the plus side, you now have a real test of your backup system!

Best,

Eric