Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Where did the restored folder go to?

From: Martin Fisher
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Where did the restored folder go to?
Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2007 08:10:27 -0300

Hi Eric

Thank you for your careful explanation, which is most helpful. This is
an education, certainly! It is useful that this deletion is not too
serious (as I have the files on an online database elsewhere and can
thus play around a little, so to speak): this is a good opportunity to
understand how rdiff-backup works. So, I located the most recent
increment files for the four files in the accidentally deleted folder.
Here is one of he files:

Harris 2007_48 author to chk.odt.2007-12-18T17:00:03-03:00.snapshot.gz

This restore attempt failed

rdiff-backup
'/media/ext3backup/rdiff-backup/rdiff-backup-data/increments/Documents/Oryx/42(1)/Harris
 2007_48 [frmtd]/Harris 2007_48 author to
chk.odt.2007-12-18T17:00:03-03:00.snapshot.gz'
'/home/martin/Documents/Oryx/42(1)/Harris 2007_48 [frmtd]/Harris 2007_48 author
to chk.odt'

because the folder Haris 2007_48 [frmtd] no longer exists. I therefore
settled for this

rdiff-backup
'/media/ext3backup/rdiff-backup/rdiff-backup-data/increments/Documents/Oryx/42(1)/Harris
 2007_48 [frmtd]/Harris 2007_48 author to
chk.odt.2007-12-18T17:00:03-03:00.snapshot.gz'
'/home/martin/Documents/Oryx/42(1)/Harris 2007_48 author to chk'

which neatly restored the file to the parent directory (in this case
'42(1)' of the original folder). I have several questions arising from
this:

1) Is there a way to have the original folder ('Harris 2007_48 [frmtd]')
restored at the same time?

2) Is there a way to have this happen and at the same time restore all
four files in the folder without having to specify each one in a
separate rdiff-backup command?

Of course before I was able to make the successful test restore of he
single file I did have several failures due to incorrectly specified
names/paths etc, which does suggest how useful a browser programme of
some sort for backups/restores would be useful.

This leads me to one final question but it is a little long and I will
therefore send it in a separate posting.

Thanks! Martin

--
Dr Martin Fisher
Editor, Oryx - The International Journal of Conservation

e-mail address@hidden
tel +44 (0)20 81238513
skype martin_pescador

Oryx online http://journals.cambridge.org/action/displayJournal?jid=ORX