Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Failed regression: missing snapshot

From: Andrew Ferguson
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Failed regression: missing snapshot
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2008 20:52:10 -0400

On Jul 10, 2008, at 7:16 PM, Dan McGuirk wrote:

Hi,

I'm using rdiff-backup 1.1.15 on Ubuntu.  Yesterday I unmounted my
backup drive uncleanly (although not during a backup).  Today
rdiff-backup wants to regress to the previous backup, but it's failing
as follows:

Previous backup seems to have failed, regressing destination now.
Regressing to Tue Jul  8 12:08:06 2008
Exception '[Errno 2] No such file or directory:
'/media/backup/inspiron-linux/rdiff-backup-data/mirror_metadata. 2008-07-08T12:08:06-07:00.snapshot.gz''

Hi Dan,

I suggest you use touch to create that file, then let rdiff-backup run and delete it to continue. That might be enough to let rdiff-backup continue.

Your scenario brings up an interesting issue. My gut reaction is that there should be a better way to handle it automatically within rdiff- backup. I'm surprised, however, that only a clean unmount could have caused this. Perhaps the kernel wasn't actually finished writing the files to disk, even though rdiff-backup quit? (ie, they were in the cache) Rdiff-backup does try to use fsync() to deal with such situations...

Thanks for the stack trace.

Andrew