Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Failed regression: missing snapshot

From: Andrew Ferguson
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Failed regression: missing snapshot
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2008 23:05:50 -0400

On Jul 10, 2008, at 9:31 PM, Dan McGuirk wrote:
Also, I forgot to mention: it was about 8 hours between when the
backup finished and when I (uncleanly) powered off the drive.  There
were messages in the syslog from the time I turned it off about failed
journal commits and so on.  I'm not sure why the journal wouldn't have
been committed already after that amount of time.

Indeed. That sounds like the root of the issue. What filesystem are you using? Sounds like it might be worth reporting as a bug -- isn't recovering gracefully from power-failure the whole point of a journaling fs? :-/

I wonder if the main problem was that the old 'current_mirror' file
didn't show up as deleted.  I think the rest of the structure was
probably intact.  Maybe I should have tried deleting that instead.

Yes, that is what the FAQ says to do to resolve this problem:

http://www.nongnu.org/rdiff-backup/FAQ.html#regress_failure

My apologies for not reinforcing that point before suggesting more drastic measures.

Andrew