Re: [rdiff-backup-users] No space left errors

From: Andrew Ferguson
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] No space left errors
Date: Wed, 4 Mar 2009 14:11:29 -0500

On Mar 4, 2009, at 2:02 PM, Bob Mead wrote:

At some point recently, the destination server did fill up, which generated a lot of 'no space left on device' errors in my rdiff- backup backup.logs. I have since cleared out ~260GB of space on the destination server, and yet when I try to backup the 27GB from the v1.04 server, I am still getting a "no space left" error.

The temp space is probably full. See the FAQ for some discussion:

Thank you Andrew:

/tmp has ~330MB free [and is using 3% of /tmp's available space] and
this backup session *has* worked sucessfully before. I did research the particular file my original message referenced, it is not on the origin server and is not in the backup directory on the destination (mirror) -
something about the regression sequence perhaps? I also tried to run a
different rdiff session (see traceback below) which also generated a no space error (and also is trying to regress). Is there an explicit way to see where python is looking for temp space in my specific installation(s)?
Thanks,
   ~bob

forgot to append this last time:

Previous backup seems to have failed, regressing destination now.
Traceback (most recent call last):
 File "/usr/bin/rdiff-backup", line 23, in ?
   rdiff_backup.Main.Main(sys.argv[1:])
File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/rdiff_backup/Main.py", line 285, in Main
   take_action(rps)
File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/rdiff_backup/Main.py", line 255, in take_action
   elif action == "backup": Backup(rps[0], rps[1])
File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/rdiff_backup/Main.py", line 299, in Backup
   backup_final_init(rpout)
File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/rdiff_backup/Main.py", line 396, in backup_final_init
   checkdest_if_necessary(rpout)
File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/rdiff_backup/Main.py", line 903, in checkdest_if_necessary
   dest_rp.conn.regress.Regress(dest_rp)
File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/rdiff_backup/connection.py", line 445, in __call__
   return apply(self.connection.reval, (self.name,) + args)
File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/rdiff_backup/connection.py", line 367, in reval
   if isinstance(result, Exception): raise result
IOError: [Errno 28] No space left on device
Traceback (most recent call last):
 File "/usr/bin/rdiff-backup", line 23, in ?
   rdiff_backup.Main.Main(sys.argv[1:])
File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/rdiff_backup/Main.py", line 285, in Main
   take_action(rps)
File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/rdiff_backup/Main.py", line 253, in take_action
   connection.PipeConnection(sys.stdin, sys.stdout).Server()
File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/rdiff_backup/connection.py", line 352, in Server
   self.get_response(-1)
File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/rdiff_backup/connection.py", line 314, in get_response
   try: req_num, object = self._get()
File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/rdiff_backup/connection.py", line 230, in _get
   raise ConnectionReadError("Truncated header string (problem "
rdiff_backup.connection.ConnectionReadError: Truncated header string (problem probably originated remotely)
address@hidden's password:
Connection closed by 163.41.144.4

Bob,

With these two clues "probably probably originated remotely" and "No space left on device" that means that rdiff-backup is running out of disk space on the remote end, in this case, the machine called "ironwood". Because it is happening during a regression, then, on the destination, it is probably running out of temp space. Does 'df -h' report anything tight there?

Rdiff-backup could be using /tmp on ironwood. The list of locations searched by Python is:

   1. The directory named by the TMPDIR environment variable.
   2. The directory named by the TEMP environment variable.
   3. The directory named by the TMP environment variable.
   4. A platform-specific location:
* On RiscOS, the directory named by the Wimp$ScrapDir environment variable. * On Windows, the directories C:\TEMP, C:\TMP, \TEMP, and \TMP, in that order. * On all other platforms, the directories /tmp, /var/tmp, and /usr/tmp, in that order.
   5. As a last resort, the current working directory.

from: http://www.python.org/doc/2.5.2/lib/module-tempfile.html

Andrew