[rdiff-backup-users] atomic increment files?

From: Marcel (Felix) Giannelia
Subject: [rdiff-backup-users] atomic increment files?
Date: Sat, 07 Mar 2009 15:03:06 -0800

Is there any way of making rdiff-backup produce single files as increments (say, by zipping them together when it produces them), instead of thousands of itty bitty files? One file per increment would make the task of moving old ones onto archive DVD a lot easier, and would make a lot less hardship for the target machine's filesystem, too. It probably wouldn't slow down restores all that much, as accessing an archive file's directory structure is likely faster than doing the same in a part of the filesystem containing many thousands of files per directory.

Presently, I'm trying to do a du -s on our backup directories and it sat there for over an hour without having printed the size of the first one. According to top, du was using 50% of the total memory. I know that there are statistics files which I could add together, but in this case I want to use du to be sure because there's a chance that there might be stray files in our rdiff-backup-data directory. Also, creating so many files that commands like du cannot even function is, in my opinion, incorrect behaviour.

~Felix.