jami

Re: [Ring] GNU Ring to replace SMS/Whatsapp

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: [Ring] GNU Ring to replace SMS/Whatsapp
Date: Tue, 09 May 2017 15:59:56 -0400

> When you use a Ring account, you're connected on a distributed DHT network.

Yes, that's the case of interest, indeed.

> IM system implements an "feedback" system to receive an acknowledgment when
> the message is presented to its recipient.

OK, so if the message is not read, I will definitely get an
error.  Good.
[ I hate the way my SIP messages tend to get lost in the ether with
  Linphone when something goes wrong (tho sometimes I do get an error
  message, but not always, and of course I can't even know where the
  error occurred: I mention Linphone, but most likely the culprit
  is elsewhere).  ]

BTW, IIUC this "feedback" is for when the other end gets to see
the message.  Do we also get feedback earlier, e.g. when the other end
received the message but hasn't yet shown it to the user, so as to
distinguish a network problem from a "user is doing something
else" problem?

> Finally, you get a red cross when the message cannot be delivered
> after all retries.

So IIUC I can't send a message when the other side is not also connected.
Any hope to see this functionality added?

Most of the people with whom I'd like to communicate are rarely
connected at the same time as I am.  So this functionality
is indispensable for me (until it's available, I probably won't
be able to use Ring very much).

> (note: this description only applies on RingAccount, not SIP!)

Yes, of course.

        Stefan

PS: I just noticed the following.  On https://ring.cx/en/about/practical
it says "see our page dedicated to security", but I could find no
such page.  The closest I could find is
https://ring.cx/en/about/privacy-and-anonymity but this doesn't talk
about what is encrypted when (nor how).