jami

Re: [Ring] GNU Ring to replace SMS/Whatsapp

From: Guillaume Roguez
Subject: Re: [Ring] GNU Ring to replace SMS/Whatsapp
Date: Tue, 9 May 2017 16:48:58 -0400 (EDT)

----- Le 9 Mai 17, à 16:41, Adonay Felipe Nogueira address@hidden a écrit :

> On the subject of implementing messaging to people offline, and also
> about the time for which the message is bounced/kept in the network:
>
> I'm not a developer, but perhaps we can do something similar to what
> BitMessage does. If I recall correctly, BitMessage allows you to send
> some message, and after sending, the message is bounced through each
> existing BitMessage client for a period of 2 days, so that the right
> recipient has time to catch it, if the recipient doesn't catch it, then
> the message is discarded (or something similar or lighter to "being
> discarded", I can't remember what it is right now).

One note: Ring uses OpenDHT but not the opposite, and the IM system
is a Ring feature, not OpenDHT.
This means only the sender and the recipient Ring nodes known that the dht
packet is an IM.
Relaying nodes see such packet just as a bunch of bytes to store during a
finite time.
OpenDHT teams have developped a notion of "data persistence" but it's not used
yet.
Contact Simon Désaulniers (in CC:) for more information about that.

// Guillaume R.