jami

Re: [Ring] GNU Ring to replace SMS/Whatsapp

From: Guillaume Roguez
Subject: Re: [Ring] GNU Ring to replace SMS/Whatsapp
Date: Tue, 9 May 2017 16:20:46 -0400 (EDT)

Hi Stefan,

> BTW, IIUC this "feedback" is for when the other end gets to see
> the message.  Do we also get feedback earlier, e.g. when the other end
> received the message but hasn't yet shown it to the user, so as to
> distinguish a network problem from a "user is doing something
> else" problem?

The "ack" is send by libring, not client, so it's send immediatly when the msg
is received.

>> Finally, you get a red cross when the message cannot be delivered
>> after all retries.
>
> So IIUC I can't send a message when the other side is not also connected.
> Any hope to see this functionality added?
>
> Most of the people with whom I'd like to communicate are rarely
> connected at the same time as I am.  So this functionality
> is indispensable for me (until it's available, I probably won't
> be able to use Ring very much).

Well, maybe, this is another approach. Some details need to be define first.
Various possibilities...
If you have some suggestions on how to do that, you'll be welcome :-)

I suggest you to fill an enhancement ticket on tuleap.ring.cx to track the
request.

>> (note: this description only applies on RingAccount, not SIP!)
>
> Yes, of course.
>

>        Stefan
>

> PS: I just noticed the following.  On https://ring.cx/en/about/practical
> it says "see our page dedicated to security", but I could find no
> such page.  The closest I could find is
> https://ring.cx/en/about/privacy-and-anonymity but this doesn't talk
> about what is encrypted when (nor how).

Thanks for the report