rule-list

Re: [Rule-list] The state of the installer message

From: Marco Fioretti
Subject: Re: [Rule-list] The state of the installer message
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2002 11:57:03 +0100

Devon said:

> ......I'd think any changes we make to anaconda would need
> to isolated, perhaps as a new install method.
> We can easily modify the MIN_RAM requirement, for example. Red Hat,
> however, isn't going to want to see that lowered overall. They don't want
> people trying to do a full install in 12M of RAM (and they will),
> To solve this, perhaps we could add a little code to the memory test.

This makes a **lot** of sense to me, as "just another installation
option" without interfering with the existing ones, is one of the main
goals of the project

> Another possibility that shouldn't be too difficult to add is the
> ability to skip partitioning, and perhaps formatting........

I have no specific thought or requirements about this, and just trust
the developers' judgement

> ...... Yes, with more changes, we could possibly slim it down more,
> but I doubt Red Hat would be interested in supporting that ability.
> On top of that, how many end  users would be willing to endure a basic
> install that takes 12 -16 or more hours......Can you imagine trying to
> compile a kernel.........

I agree on this too. The use of the really limited machines is
probably going to be "limited" to:

        single purpose servers,

        educational or internet appliance purpose (learn/do unix
        basics text processing /internet connectivity/ email + news,
        print, scripting....) or, possibly,

        small store management ( I think to the one man shop which
        could make going with some csv, text based spreadsheet for
        accounting, print letters to salesmen or salary sheets,
        something like this: in other words, the minimum needed to run
        a business without putting yourself in trouble).

Of course we have to put Red Hat in a situation where it is easy for
them to support our install option.

OTOH, sticking as we are going to do to stock kernel and libs, etc,
etc, a box with our packages installed it's going to be nothing
different than a box with standard Red Hat and some man-months of
post-install configuration. Hence:

1)      If customers says: why can't I run RH7.2+ X + Enlightenment
        +StarOffice+xmms+Mozilla on 8 MB of RAM, Red Hat just
        says "It's phisically impossible, sir"

                without asking at all which install option was chosen

2)      If customer says: I have your stock kernel, and your stock
        pppd crashes any time, *and* I paid for support, Red Hat must
        just ask details, and fix the bugs if any.

                without asking at all which install option was chosen

Again, the big assumption here is that we will do an excellent
job to guarantee post install compatibility, but we will do it, right?

Back to bed now: I have the flu, so don't expect much participation
for a couple of days. I'll read the mail now and then, however.

        Ciao,

        Marco Fioretti
        RULE project leader