rule-list

Re: [Rule-list] 386 & Slinky-v0.2.* status

From: Eugene Wong
Subject: Re: [Rule-list] 386 & Slinky-v0.2.* status
Date: Thu, 02 May 2002 21:41:24 -0700

From: Michael Fratoni <address@hidden>
<snip>
Hrmmm?
What exactly is the difficulty you are having? If this is a follow up to
a previous post, I seem to have missed it.

Maybe my first email didn't make it all the way through.

My problem is that I can't do a network install. I'm trying to install from an ftp server, but the network module [ne.o] doesn't seem to load. More on this, below.

<snip>
If you are talking about the slinky installer, the kernel the installer
uses is a slightly modified version of Red Hat's 2.4.9-31-BOOT kernel and
the modules (available on my server) are from the same kernel.

Yes, I am using the slinky installer.

To demonstrate:
address@hidden cdrom]# insmod
/var/www/html/rule/slinky/MODULES/kernel/drivers/cdrom/sbpcd.o
/var/www/html/rule/slinky/MODULES/kernel/drivers/cdrom/sbpcd.o:
kernel-module version mismatch
        /var/www/html/rule/slinky/MODULES/kernel/drivers/cdrom/sbpcd.o
was compiled for kernel version 2.4.9-31RULE
        while this kernel is version 2.4.9-21.

The slinky-v0.2.1 images work here without difficulty.
<snip>

Perhaps I misunderstand the error message. Even in your example it says "kernel-module version mismatch". So, how does the network get set up with a kernel-module version mismatch? When I try:

insmod .../ne.o

then I also get a kernel-module version mismatch. I got the modules from your website at:

http://www.tuxfan.homeip.net:8080/rule/slinky/MODULES/kernel/...

I can't ping any IP address, or use ifconfig.

Sincerely, and with thanks,
Eugene T.S. Wong

Sincerely, and with thanks,
Eugene T.S. Wong