rule-list

Re: [Rule-list] *Some* good news: can ping IP addresses on LAN

From: Rodolfo J. Paiz
Subject: Re: [Rule-list] *Some* good news: can ping IP addresses on LAN
Date: Mon, 06 May 2002 12:08:55 -0600

At 5/6/2002 01:25 AM -0400, you wrote:
You're using crossover cables with a hub? I didn't think that was
possible. I could well be wrong, but i thought only switches could do
that.

(Yes, I'm still alive.)

A non-issue actually. Standard Ethernet cables are for connecting computers to normal ports on a hub or switch; crossover cables are for connecting two computers directly or two hubs or switches directly. Uplink ports (internally crossed) on hubs or switches were added as conveniences to the user so that normal cables could be used everywhere.

The fact that all of this is so neat and convenient does not prevent you from doing weird things, such as using a crossover cable to connect your computer to the uplink port on a hub or switch. (This is usually imbecilic since every uplink port I ever saw shares its internals with a normal port, but you *could* be on a deserted island with only a crossover cable to use, after all.)

--
Rodolfo J. Paiz
address@hidden