rule-list

[RULE] Need help with scripting Vacuum

From: Eugene Wong
Subject: [RULE] Need help with scripting Vacuum
Date: Mon, 09 Dec 2002 21:50:03 -0800

Hi all.

A few days ago, I reached the point, where I should start adding code to deal with options. I'm wondering how to go about doing it. I noticed that the Advance Bash Scripting Guide tells everybody how to go about dealing with portions of the arguement in chapter 9, but it doesn't really give any good theory.

For single letter options, I seem to notice that they usually begin with 1 dash, & most often seem to allow "-abc" or "-a -b -c". Do we want to allow users to use the latter form? If I understand correctly, it would take a lot more code to deal with both. Since we want to allow both "-e" & "--empty", then there would be more parsing anyways.

What's the best way of dealing with options? Using "shift"?

Sincerely, and with thanks,
Eugene T.S. Wong