rule-list

[RULE] Testing of new website started. Contributors wanted

From: M. Fioretti
Subject: [RULE] Testing of new website started. Contributors wanted
Date: Sun, 18 Apr 2004 19:06:32 +0200

Hello, everybody.

As you can see at http://rule-test.homelinux.org/~mfioretti/, I have
finally started to mess with the new website and am here to
report. Any feedback is welcome.

GENERAL

Looking good. Thanks a thousand to David for setting it up. I have had
occasion to play with it enough to be almost sure than everything that
still doesn't look possible is due to my lazyness, not to limits in
SPIP (the CMS system that David selected). The two major "obstacles"
right now are:

     cosmetics:       fix fonts, add the logo, not show some non
                      essential stuff (other articles by the some
                      author, etc...), change font sizes... nothing
                      complicated, once I find the proper source file.

     automated multiple uploads: I need to figure out how to
                    insert/convert all the current material in the
                    SPIP database with a shell script. Once that is
                    done, reformatting each page (fix links, add
                    bullets, etc...) can be done in steps, even
                    sharing the workloads among members.

I have already subscribed to the SPIP mailing list, so I can directly
nag the gurus on these and other minor issues.

WEB SITE STRUCTURE

I have already created the following hyerarchy (not all pieces show up
in the URL above because still missing content):

TOP
        Screenshots     (to be divided by RH/FC release)
        Docs
                General
                Installation
                Developers (how to update/customize slinky)
                Howto
                Links
                ...what else)

        Download        (ISO, boot floppies or the whole website)

        SW packages

                ISO documentation
                Slinky documentation
                pages devoted to single low resource apps

        Support

                The RULE network
                Mailing list
                Contact RULE

        Testing

        MAP

Do you like this layout?

CONTRIBUTORS

With the new structure it will be possible to collaboratively submit,
edit and update content much faster and easier than in the
past. Please start preparing everything you might want to see on the
RULE website (INGO: including VUM stuff if you want), and let me know
if you want a contributor login.

Ciao,

        Marco Fioretti

--
Marco Fioretti                 m.fioretti, at the server inwind.it

We are drowning in information but starved for knowledge.
                                      -- John Naisbitt, Megatrends