rule-list

Re: [RULE] Testing of new website started. Contributors wanted

From: C David Rigby
Subject: Re: [RULE] Testing of new website started. Contributors wanted
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2004 19:22:23 +0200

Hello, RULErs,

SPIP's content management falls into two broad categories. The actual pages are articles, and a tree-like structure is implicit in how the database is organized. However, what is actually displayed on any given page is also a result of a template that uses SPIP's built-in formatting language (developed in PHP) to select articles and layout the presentation. In the SPIP model, writing & editting articles can be done in the "Private Area" accessible only to Administrators, Editors and writers. That functionality is accessbile via a web browser. The actual templates can only be accessed and editted via a standard Unix shell account. At least until someone writes a PHP-based interface to the CLI under Linux, I suppose...

Anyway, to do some of the things mentioned by Marco (such as simplifying the display of information, removing the references to the author's other articles, etc.) the templates need to be modified. I feel like I understand the principles and the scripting language well enough, I just need to spend some time poking about in the code until the displayed pages have the desired appearance and functionality.

Question for Marco: are you working on a script in in bash or PHP? Are you working on converting the existing HTML or playtext pages, or the install reports, or both?

I tried but failed to get an automated backup system in place for the server before going off on vacation, but did not succeed. I have altered my strategy since getting back behind the keyboard, so I hope to have it operational within a couple of days. Operational implies tested, so there will probably be some server downtime while I do something drastic to the contents of the server's hard drives to make sure I can recover the from the backups. But now that I seem to have a real user population doing real work, I had better take care of that first! I'll issue a warning via the mailing list before I bring the system down.

Cheers,
C David Rigby