savannah-dev

[Savannah-dev] Re: Database structure + other questions

From: Marco Mambelli
Subject: [Savannah-dev] Re: Database structure + other questions
Date: Wed, 07 May 2003 12:01:07 -0500

Mathieu Roy wrote:

Marco Mambelli <address@hidden> a tapoté :
Hi,
I'm working on a local installation of savannah and I'm experiencing
some problems with the MySQL database:

some tables seems to be missing (filemodule, user_preferences, ?); I'd
like to create them. The open patch 582 seems to create some of them
but not all.

Is it there a description or a dump (savannah.xml) of the database
structure?

Normally there is a complete dump. See READMEs in savannah/db/
Thanks, before I did not understood correctly what database_savannah.structure is and the difference from the table_ files. I initialized the database from the tablefiles (the default in the Makefile) even if I had to do it manually because some initial DB login problems (the DB user/password in the Makefile, SV_DB_OPTIONS, were empty - even if sys_dbuser/sys_dbpasswd were set correctly).
This is why I was missing the tables.
Now I'm adding them manually when I encounter errors:
-error in the project submission:
  filemodule
-suggestion from open patch 582 (beside filemodule):
  activity_log
  filemodule_monitor
-bug view/forum-news view pages:
  user_preferences

The other questions: -is it there a way to know who submitted a new
project request (if he is not adding his name in the
comments/project description)? In order to know it and to add the
requestor as project administrator.

This is done automatically.
Now actually it is working, probably before the missing filemodule table was interrupting a script with an error, because in previous projects it was not added (I checked te DB content). I saw that now is working from the DB and from "- Summary Administration" (project/admin/index.php); "User Management / User List" (admin/userlist.php) seems not to work, it is not showing the users of a project and "Add" seems not to work.

Anyway, knowing the submitter from the approval page would probably be a nice addon (to eventually decide/change the group type depending on the submitter or to contact him, ...).

-each news seems to originate a new discussion forum, is it true?
(I'm trayin to reactivate the forums in my installation)

Yes it is. The forum tools has been deactivated. Some times ago I
tried to reactivated but we have apparently lot of work to do to get
it coherent with other savannah features.

I'll try to get into it, if you have any suggestion they are more then wellcome

-do you have any suggestion on how/where to link existing mailing
lists to the project pages (Generic mailing lists: they could be on
different hosts and not mailman based)?

They can be on different hosts (it's the case on savannah ; mailing
list are managed by mail.gnu.org with is a different computer). And
probably can be not mailman based, but we have tested that yet.

I'm intending the same group have lists on several servers.

Once you define the group type the mailing list server seems to be bounded; when adding a mailing list (admin/index.php?group_id=XX&add_list=1) the server part is impossible to change: - the project admin cannot control/change the mailing list server (most important)
- all the lists have to be on the same server
Specially when hosting preesisting projects coming from etherogeneous places (this will probably be my case) it wuold be nice to provide the missing tools and let the groups to use their preesisting tools

Thank you,
Marco