Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] Hosting requirements in avrdude

From: Sylvain Beucler
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] Hosting requirements in avrdude
Date: Sun, 18 Apr 2010 20:45:15 +0200

Hi,

On Sat, Apr 17, 2010 at 10:57:52PM +0000, Karl Berry wrote:
>     Taking into account POSIX is a propietary standard
>
> Well, it is not exactly proprietary.  Lots of GNU packages expend a lot
> of effort to follow POSIX, and many GNU developers contribute to writing
> the standards.
>
> avrdude is not GNU software.  If it wants to call itself "POSIX" that
> seems fine to me.  Referring to "Linux" as the whole system (and talking
> about "open source") is the specific wording thing that savannah-hosted
> packages should avoid.  How nongnu packages want to avoid can be left up
> to them.

Mario, I think you're taking this too personaly.

Your actions on this particular issue have been invasive and somewhat
rude, which made other people angry.

I suggest we now wait for a day or two, and other Savannah admins will
resume the conversation with the avrdude maintainers to clarify what
the requirements are.

The fact we technically can do things, as administrators, doesn't mean
we can do them morally.  We cannot add ourselves as project members
without the project admins consent, we cannot subscribe to private
mailing lists without the project admin consent, and we generally are
not in position to comment on project choices unless they directly
violate the hosting requirements.

You had a nice idea to raise the issue of non-compliance to the
avrdude maintainers, but in the process you want beyond your
administrator privileges.  So I don't think you should continue to
work on this issue.

--
Sylvain