Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] help needed with savannah

From: Alexander Shulgin
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] help needed with savannah
Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2011 19:07:46 +0300

On Sun, Jul 17, 2011 at 06:33, Mario Castelan Castro <address@hidden> wrote:
> "help needed with savannah" in address@hidden
>
> Alexander Shulgin <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> So I've spent a few hours today putting up a helper script to aid in
>> analyzing new project submissions.
>
> Time is a precious resource.

Truly it is.

>  If you want to donate part of your time to
> helping us please evaluate projects.

That was my intent, so I grabbed the first pending project and it's
tarball happened to be a tarbomb...  I've recalled just how many times
I've had to deal with that before, so my thought was: "Not again!"

There was some move to write a compliance checker script, so I thought
that this might be a good starting point: the first thing I'd do when
reviewing submission is extracting the tarball, then I would do thing
A and thing B, etc.  There's a lot of automation opportunity here, so
why waste time doing that manually over and over again?

>  Scripts aren't worth it.

Others may have their own opinion. :-p  I think Alex Fernandez already
answered this rather clearly down this thread.

> Project
> evaluation isn't all about mechanical license checking!.

I didn't say the script is to "replace the review completely," it's
just to "aid in the process."

>> I'm now attaching the script here, but maybe there is something like a
>> github account for savannah hackers?..

Sorry man, I didn't want to offend you or anyone else by mentioning
github (oops, I did it again) or any other "competing" project hosting
platform.  I've been pointed in the right direction already, so you
are a bit late here. :-p

Anyway, thank you for reminding me of this.  I have dropped the ball
here, but now I'll work on finding time to work on this again.

--
Alex