Re: [Savannah-hackers] pserver broken

From: Jeff Bailey
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers] pserver broken
Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2001 05:58:14 -0700

On Thu, Oct 18, 2001 at 10:53:58AM +0200, Loic Dachary wrote:

>       Talking to people using 2.2.18 kernels, they said that they
> sometime found themselves in similar conditions and that shuting down
> the eth interfaces + rmmod driver + insmod driver removed the spurious
> entries. I wonder if that kind of fix is faster / safer than a plain
> reboot. These people have enormous amount of disk space without a
> journaling file system, they are therefore quite reluctant to reboot
> simply because mounting the file systems takes a looooong time.

My experience with rmmod'ing broken modules is that rebooting is far
safer.  Does this occur so often right now that the downtime is
critical?  (I'm thinking that it's not critical is it occurs once
every 3 months - 3 months from now, perhaps the development on 2.4
kernels will have slowed down)

--
Abandon the search for truth; settle for a good fantasy.