[Savannah-hackers] Re: Could please remove a directory in CVS for cp-too

From: Alex Lancaster
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] Re: Could please remove a directory in CVS for cp-tools?
Date: 25 Oct 2001 05:41:43 -0700

LD>        -P Prune (remove) directories that are empty after being
LD> updated, on checkout, or update.  Normally, an empty directory
LD> (one that is void of revision- controlled files) is left alone.
LD> Specifying -P will cause these directories to be silently removed
LD> from your checked-out sources.  This does not remove the directory
LD> from the repository, only from your checked out copy.  Note that
LD> this option is implied by the -r or -D options of checkout and
LD> export.

LD>     I use 1.11 but I'm sure it was already there in 1.9.

OK, I figured out what is going on, it appears that the "delete"
command isn't documented as such, but I infer that it's a synonym for
"remove" or "rm", this was why I didn't immediately recognise it.

In any case, I have gone ahead and removed the files as suggested, but
it still doesn't have the effect I want, because all the
subdirectories from gnu/ remain on the server and can be seen when
browsing via CVSWeb, and all the files remain in the "Attic" directory
(in fact, in principle, you could check them out of the various "Attic
directories).

As far as I know from using CVS from several years, the only way to
remove *directories* from the server, is to have actual shell-level
access and remove them manually (i.e. rm -rf gnu/).

The CVS manual in the section "Removing directories", has the
following:

   "The way that you remove a directory is to remove all the files in
it.  You don't remove the directory itself; there is no way to do
that."

This was why I sent the mail to cvs-hackers in the first place,
because I figured that it wasn't something I could do at the client
end.

Cheers,
Alex
--